Chanhassen Boys & Girls Traveling Tournament Rules
(Rules are subject to change)
Warm-up time, half-time breaks
Up to (5) minutes are allowed for warm-up and (3) minutes for half time; however, the referees have discretion to change these times to make sure the games move along in a timely fashion.
Each team is responsible to write their line up on the official score sheet prior to the start of the game. If numbers are not entered correctly or a number not entered at all, a technical foul will be issued.
Home Team supplies scorekeeper and must sit at scorer’s table. Home Team is at the top of each bracket in bracket play and the first team listed in pool play
Team must have a minimum of 5 players to start the game or game will be forfeited and winning team will be awarded a 20-0 score
A player can only play on one team. (Exceptions made only by Tournament Director).
Game playing time
All grades, (2) fourteen (14) minute stop time halves. Running time will be used whenever there is a lead of twenty (20) points or more with 7 minutes left with the clock stopping for time outs in the second half of the game. A Team must get it down to 10 points to stop the clock from running time after a 20 point deficit.
The first overtime period is two (2) minutes stop time. The second overtime period if necessary is sudden death. Each overtime period will start with a jump ball.
Three (3) time outs per game. One (1) time out for the first overtime period. No time outs for a sudden death period. Unused time outs do not carry forward to the overtime periods.
For 6th – 8th Grade Division:
- When the ball is inbound to the back court, the clock will start once the ball is touched by a player in the front court.
- Teams must drop back to a half-court defense if leading by 20 points. One verbal warning will be issued then a technical foul will be issued on subsequent violations at the referee’s discretion. Also, the score must drop down to 10 points to resume normal play and stop the running clock.
For 4th &5th Grade Division
No zone defenses are allowed, No double teaming/trapping
4th Grade - Full court press is not allowed.
5th Grade - Full court press is allowed, must be Person to Person only - No double teaming/trapping
Officials will enforce this rule by giving a warning for the first offense and by awarding a 2-point technical foul for any subsequent violations.
4th grade - When the ball is inbound to the back court, the clock will start once the ball is touched by a player in the front court for last 2 minutes of game.
Teams must drop back to a half-court defense if leading by 20 points. One verbal warning will be issued then a technical foul will be issued on subsequent violations at the referee’s discretion. Also, the score must drop down to 10 points to resume normal play and stop the running clock.
One and one will be shot after seven (7) team fouls per half.
Double bonus shots at ten (10) team fouls.
NO TECHNICAL FOULS WILL BE SHOT, team will be awarded 2 points and the ball will be awarded to the opposing team. Technical Fouls are also counted as team fouls and as player fouls.
If a coach gets removed from a game, they can no longer coach that particular day. The coach must leave the court area until the game is over.
In round robin brackets and pool play, ties will be determined by
Head to Head
Total point differential (in games between tie breaker teams only)
Fewest points allowed (in games between tie breaker teams only)
Most points scored (in games between tie breaker teams only)
No protests are allowed. The referees and or the Tournament Director will settle all disputes as needed.
- All other rules are according to the Minnesota State High School League.
- 4th grade will utilize a 27.5” size ball. 5th and 6th grade will use a 28.5” size ball. 7th and 8th boys will use a full size 29.5" ball.
- 4th grade free throw will be shot from 12'. If there is no lines on court, then free throw will be shot from behind free throw line but are allowed to jump over on an attempt
- Unsportsmanlike conduct and fighting is prohibited before, during, or after the game. Players involved in a fight will be eliminated from the game they are in and the next game. A team can be fully disqualified from the tournament if remaining members of the team gets into a subsequent fight.
- Tournament registration fees will not be refunded.
- Coaches are responsible for their actions and the actions of their players and fans
- Inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated. Officials have the authority to forfeit games if necessary because of unsportsmanlike conduct.
- Tournament Directors reserve the right to remove anyone from the tournament premises, or refuse admission to any individual.
Please clean up all drink bottles and other garbage left on the benches after your games. Please respect the gyms and school property.
If you have any questions or concerns throughout our tournament please contact one of our Tournament Directors.
CAA Traveling Basketball Tournament Director